Monday, October 6, 2008

Plarn

Photobucket




Plarn was a complete accident. A crochet loving woman at my son's preschool was always doing it while she was waiting for her kids to get out. We would chat off and on. One day she came by and asked me if I liked her bag? I thought it was very neat looking and I got a little closer and really looked at it and that is when she told me it was made out of Plarn. She told me to go home and look it up. Well me being me I think to myself I can do that but still had no clue what plarn was but I was going to make me something. So come to find out plarn is a way of recycling plastic bags. There wasn't a lot on the Internet about plarn when I started but before the day was over I had all my plastic bags that I save with a pair of scissors and a crochet hook in hand. The next thing I knew everyone was saving bags for me and I have a lot of plastic bags. I had friends asking me what I would do for a large red bag! So as a spoof I had made a bunch of them up and Patricia suggested that we sell them at our next craft fair. Okay well how much do you charge and I don't really think they are going to sell but okay. Yeah all the plarn bags were gone in a matter of minutes. Those and my potholders were the only things that sold that day. We had a lot of fun stringing plastic and making more bags while we had wonderful conversations with people wanting to know what we were doing. Patricia draws the line at making plarn items but will sit and help string and cut the same as I do not crochet food looking items but she will.



Deidre



Photobucket






Ok, I was reading this today and had to take a minute to comment. LOL, you should have seen us at this craft fair. Nothing is selling, I mean NOTHING! Not even the other vendors are selling. Then out of nowhere this lady picks up a plarn handbag and loves it! And, she buys it. YES! So I go to work on this great speal about how they are recycled and no two are exactly a like and what do you know two more sell. I'm all excited and I'll look around to see that we only have 2 more to sell. I'm frantic! How can we sell more if we don't have more. We get out the scissors and I start cutting bags. Deidre's fingers are flying to crochet another bag. I think one of the things that got us attention at that movement was that we were working on a bag and people stopped to see what we were doing.



Patricia

2 comments:

The Stewart Stuff said...

People always are drawn to action! How funny! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting! You made my day! Come back anytime and I'll give you $5 off anything in my shop! Just convo me! Thanks!
-10oneworld

The Chameleons Attic said...

It was my pleasure! thank you for the visit back!