Monday, October 27, 2008

If Your Ever Driving Across Kansas...

Driving across Kansas is much like driving across Texas. Long and boring.


My parents live in Missouri, about thirty minutes past the end of nowhere. We've been visiting them more often to ensure our son gets plenty of time with them. Well...no matter which way you go it’s long, boring and windy. But, because we have been making this drive a lot lately and I can find no way around it, I've found a way to make it entertaining, at least, for me.


Not so much for my husband.


My favorite rout to go is from Denver to Kansas City and down to Springfield vs. Denver to Salina down to Wichita and over to Springfield. Both take you through Salina.


The important thing to remember is the stops. This is a great rout for anyone interested in odd little places to stop, antique stores or yarn and fabric shops.


Because we leave Denver at an hour when only zombies, we get to our first stop about breakfast time. My husband gets to eat and I get to stop at my fist antique shop! This is a great little place and every time I've been there the same gentlemen has been at the counter. He must get all the early morning shifts. This is the stop where my husband and my son pick out a gift for Grandma and Grandpa. Grandma usually gets linens and Grandpa gets tools or a plainer.


Southwind Antiques is an antique mall, with lots of vendor booths and a huge variety of wares. If you’re looking for tools, farming or horse related items this is a great place. There’s a booth by the back room with lots of old beautiful fishing lures, some great furniture and a cute selection of toys and holiday items at the front of the store. This place has a great selection of everything and the prices arn’t too bad.


http://www.southwindantiques.com/


When you leave don't for get to pick up at least one flyer with the listings of all the shops along I70.


If you remembered to pick up the flyer you'll see all the shops along I70. But, have no fear if you missed the flyer there will be no shortage of road side signs to tell you where to stop. From Colby to Salina the road is heavily marked with signs for quilting shops, yarn shops and antique stores.


I usually make it to Hayes before I require another shop, I mean stop. But, there are some nice places in all of these locations: Oakley, Quinter, Wakeeney and Ellis.


Hays has several shops I like to visit. There are two antique malls right off the I70 on the south side, use the frontage road to get to them. They are a little pricy. Unfortunatlly I can't remember the names of either. But, in Hays there’s is The Antique Mall of Hays and Brunswick Antique Mall. Both have a great selection and about average prices.


Antique Mall of Hays

201 East 41st Street

Hays, KS 67601

(785) 625-6055



http://www.antique4sell.com/


Hays also has a great quilt shop! http://www.quiltcottageco.com/

This is the place where I learned how to make a locker hook rug. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The fabric selection was great; they even have a nice selection of specialty yarns.


Our next stop is the Antique Mall in Russell. I don't get to stop here as often but, they have a nice selection, average prices and nice staff.


Russell Antique Mall 17925 Stickney Rd
Russell, KS 67665 (785) 483-2281‎


Between Hays and Salina there’s a wonderful side note. On the North side of the Highway you will see hundreds (at least I think there are hundreds, I never counted, Ok maybe just a lot) of windmills. Not the old fashioned ones you think of but, big high teck sleek looking windmills. For some time Kansas has been erecting these windmills on windmill farms. On our trip last Easter we saw work men putting together the mill parts. We passed semi after semi hauling huge mid sections and blades. It was really quite a site. These windmills are very much like the ones that have been used outside of Palm Springs, California for years and even Las Vegas Nevada only I think they may be even taller. Why don't we have more of these windmills in use? I'm sure it is an expensive endeavor to set one up but, don't the long term benefits outweigh the initial cost? I'm guessing the people of Kansas think so.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power

http://www.awea.org/

http://www.alliantenergykids.com/stellent2/groups/public/documents/pub/phk_ee_re_001502.hcsp

http://www.vlib.us/windpower.html


Just an interesting wind fall of information. LOL I know bad pun.


So lets move on. Our next stop is Salina. There are signs as you head into Salina for both antique shops, quilt shops and a yarn store. Unfortunately for me my husband makes sure to this area when I'm asleep and breezes right past. So if you get to explore the shops in Salina please let me know what I'm missing!!


He does however; know better then to pass our next stop! Abilene Kansas. Antique stores in multiples. Most I've been to. I try to stop at a different one each time.


http://www.abilenekansas.org/page.aspx?page_id=44


But, even better is the Russell Stover candy factory and outlet store...YUMMM!!!


http://www.russellstover.com/

http://www.abilenekansas.org/page.aspx?page_id=21


I get the Toffee in the bag. I think its buy one get the other 1/2 off. It's so good.


Paxico is the next stop for us. I love this place!! It's this cute little town with a row of shops, a cafe and that’s about it. But, there are lots of shops. And, every one of them is nice, the staff in each shop is wonderful and friendly, the prices are good to average. If you can only go to one antique area on your drive go to this one.


http://paxicomerchants.com/


Even my husband likes this stop! Well...this one and the candy store.


That is the end of our stops on this trip. However, there are lots, I mean lots of places I didn't mention that are great shops and all the places we haven't had the opportunity to visit. If you stop at a place on this rout you think should be included let me know. I'd love to hear about your favorite travel stops where ever you go.


Patricia

No comments: