Tuesday, December 23, 2008

to knit or crochet

This is going to be a two part post. I am often asked if someone should crochet or knit. For me both serve a pupose and I enjoy each for different reasons. I think that a person should learn to crochet first. It is easier to tear it down to you mistake and start again. I learned to knit first but would have rather learned to crochet so I always teach people to crochet first. I believe that if a person can learn to control their yarn tension while crocheting it is easier to knit. I love to crochet small projects on the go or in the summer and large afghans in the winter. I am fairly fast at both but find that my mind works better with creating crocheted items. I also believe that crocheting gives you the concept of even and what will work and won't. Why you add here and why you don't have to there. Most knitted items can be duplicated into crochet. I also like to teach crochet first because it gives a person a chance to be comfortable with the twisting of the needle in and out of the hole. Learning to turn the piece you are making so it does come out even and not a triangle can be a challenge for learners too.

No comments: