Tuesday, December 23, 2008

knitting

I love to knit. I know how to English and Continental knit. Crocheting help me control the tension on my yarn which in turn helped me loosen my knitting. I was always frustrated and spent a lot of time trying to cram the needle into the hole to knit. That is the biggest advice I would give someone who is learning to knit.
I love to knit hats and slippers and blankets.
I use circular needles because I sit in a big comfy chair and I find that I am always fighting the standard needles. I also noticed that if I am knitting a blanket the weight hangs on the needles and is hard on my wrists. You can use circular needles the same as standard ones.
It wasn't until about a year or so ago that I actually used double pointed needles and found them to be very helpful in doing a cuff on a sweater or something that I had finished.
knitting and crocheting are similar in the sense that you hold your work but with knitting it is already on the needle.
I practiced correcting my work a lot so that I got comfortable with it when I did make a mistake.
Also when you turn your work be careful not to add stitches.

6 comments:

Robin@creations-anew.com said...

TCA,
I used to love and sit and knit with my grandma....
Robin
CreationsAnew

RecycleCindy said...

I don't knit but love to crochet. I crochet with yarn, plastic bags, vcr tape etc. Come over to visit if you get the chance. Merry Christmas and happy WW.
Cindy
http://www.myrecycledbags.com/

The Chameleons Attic said...

Yes I too used to love to sit and craft with my grandma. I thought I was big stuff because I got to sit in a chair just like her with my kool-aid tang drink just like her. What great memories. Thank you Robin

The Chameleons Attic said...

Cindy what did you think of crocheting with the vcr tape? I thought it made a wondreful bag. Very nice site! I think crocheting with plastic is a lot of fun. My daughter helps string plastic sometimes.
Merry Christmas to you Cindy!

Yoga Bridge said...

Hi chameleon!! I don't know how to knit, but I do crochet a little. I only know enough to make scarves! hehe.

The Chameleons Attic said...

hi Moondog. We all have to start somewhere and who doesn't love a warm scarf!!! It gives me great joy to make things for people! D